Monday, December 19, 2011

Expectations

Where does the time go?  Is Christmas really less than a week away?  I had all these glorious plans to be completely prepped and prepared for Christmas with time to spare.  Shopping done, gifts wrapped, cards sent, cookies baked, merriment made, feet up, eggnog in hand. . . but I'm no where near ready.  Instead I find myself trimming nonessentials off my list (like all matching wrapping paper, hand addressed Christmas cards, and a partridge in a pear tree).  Honestly, I haven't even hung stockings.  Honestly, I can't even find Joey and my stockings.  At least the tree is trimmed.

And on top of all this, I'm 32 weeks pregnant.  I feel quite large, quite clumsy, and quite tired.  And I've started having some super fun contractions about twice a day.  Doctor says this is quite normal and that I shouldn't worry.  I keep reminding this baby she needs to stay in for at least a few weeks. . . please, stay put!  If I'm not ready for Christmas, I'm definitely not ready to have another baby!  I can't help but think that I'm not the first mother who wanted her baby to stay put for a little while longer.  I can't imagine Mary planned on delivering in a manger.  I'm sure she was telling her precious cargo to stay put on the road to Bethlehem.  There must have been a lot running through her mind as she rode on the back of that donkey.  And considering the much longed for but unexpected manner of that arrival that changed the course of history, matching gift wrap seems a lot less important.

So, instead of worrying about tying all the bows and loose ends, I'm taking the time to enjoy this moment of life.  Right this moment, my one daughter is sleeping.  I'll only have one daughter for a brief moment longer.  Right this moment, my husband is home resting by my side.  Right this moment, I'm feeling little hiccups from this other little one.  Right this moment, life is calm.  I'm content.  I'm happy.  And I feel overwhelmingly blessed and loved.  I feel very festive.

Here are some photos of our merriments:

Aurelia showing off that she's "SO BIG"

Best buddies due two days apart!

Hawkins Family Christmas with the Simlers

Aurelia enjoying some blocks

Thanks Mamaw and Papaw!

So happy about all the red and yellow toys!

The cousins

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Christmas preparing was such a simpler thing when we were the kids. So much to do now! But you've got it figured out best, enjoying the moments together.

Unknown said...

It was so great to have you 3...4 here. Thank you for coming up to visit. It really helped Severin to just relax and be in the moment as well, instead of over-thinking his interview prep.

Unknown said...

I did sign in but apparently I am still unknown...like Severin said, it's probably for the best since it really is essential that I am as covert as possible...you know, in my "line of work" and such.